Games, milkshakes, and power armor

Thursday, August 11, 2011

I didn't enjoy the new Fallout games.


My level of interest in Fallout 3 (That is to say, dead)
donate your car sacramento
There's a good chance that I'm going to infuriate people with this post. For those select few who don't know, Fallout 3 is a video game that was released around two years ago to an audience of longtime fans, and is still to this day sworn by as the greatest game in the history of history by a good number of gamers. As you no doubt noticed by the title, I am not one of those so-inclined people. The game starts off with a character creation process that is admittedly original. You flash forward through different points in your childhood (your birth, a birthday, etc.) and it culminates in a personality test type of thing which drops a character class from a ridiculously long list on your lap. The introduction and character creation alone drags on for hours before finally getting to the action, and makes the process and introduction/tutorial levels from games like Dragon Age: Origins or Kingdom Hearts II seem comparatively exciting and fast paced. Suddenly for some reason that's beyond you your father leaves the vault which sheltered you and countless other families from the radioactive, post-apocalyptic wasteland that the world has become, an event which coincides with the community leader going banana-pants crazy and the whole vault going to hell, so you decide to take off after your dad. So, after hours of being stuck underground in linear corridors with clearly defined objectives, the game drops you in the middle of the desert and basically says "Well, off you go!" asbestos, illinois attorney

If the character creation system seemed overwhelming it's nothing compared to the sheer shitstorm of missions you get flooded with upon reaching the very first town. Immediately you're inundated with mission after mission from every person too lazy to leave their radiation-scoured hovel to handle things for themselves, and in the end you need to decide whether you want to help people, or for no reason whatsoever be a total asshole and detonate the huge bomb that these people for some reason decided would be a great thing to make the centerpiece of their village. I honestly stopped playing at the first town simply because I was dumped so many missions all at once I couldn't figure out what the hell to actually DO. I saw no way of actually telling which mission would advance the story and which would simply pay me a few bottlecaps (Seriously? THAT'S what they use for currency in the future?) and a pat on the back. new york mesothelioma lawyers, tax attourneys

Personally, I think Borderlands did everything Fallout 3 did but on a much more manageable scale, with an environment that both was out to kill you and still managed to make itself endearing. The characters are much more quirky and memorable (cl4p tp anyone?) and while I did like the 50's modern art style Fallout took, I liked the cell-shaded, much more colorful and flavorful world of Pandora much more. Each area had it's very own character and feel, a quality that, between what I've played and seen others play, is seemingly absent from the world of Fallout 3. The classes and character customization still lets you create a character that works well for the type of play style you want to use, not to mention it's a simple matter to alter what points go where. Not to mention the world is huge, but has a fast travel system AND go carts that allow you to zip along the dunes and run things over. Not only that, but Borderlands has guns for MILES! Seriously the guns can do anything in that game. I've seen shotguns that shoot rockets made out of acid, sniper rifles that heal you when you kill someone with them, and pistols that shoot incendiary bullets with rapid fire so fast you can empty the clip in a split second (Granted, not great for ammo conservation, but damn if it's not impressive to watch). Plus on top of all that, Borderlands is multiplayer, something that Bethesda decided not to include in their game. I respect Bethesda for wanting to devote their full attention to a great single player experience, and by wide accounts that's exactly what they did, but I enjoy shooting mutants with friends a lot more than by myself. insurance, home, car

I've heard Fallout 3 be called Oblivion with guns in the past. If that's the case than Borderlands is Diablo with guns. Guess which of those two I played more, as well?

insurance, home, car, quotes, asbestos

11 comments:

  1. Personally completed fallout 3 twice, in th hope that if I played it a second time, it'd live up to my expectations. :(
    But I have an undying love for Borderlands, and struggle to fault it because it's so .. Unqiue? In what it offers. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why but I never got into Borderlands. Probably because I was disappointed in the multiplayer (I mean it was good, but I was expecting better). I did enjoy fallout 3 but not New Vegas as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all good, you're entitled to your opinion. For me the game glitched out in certain spots, sometimes making it unplayable. Other than that, can't really complain. You have some valid points though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed borderland more too. Fallout didn't attract me because I think they lost the touch

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading this I actually think that I might try out Fallout 3...I've never really had reason to seeing as i've been more of a Call of Duty player but this makes me want to pick it up next time I go to gamespot. Thanks man love you blog +1 followed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, you should have stuck with it. It's a very satisfying game, I found myself emotionally involved in the story line more than I probably should of. I never actually played Borderland, but I might give it a try. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Fallout 3, New Vegas is all right but no where near as good. Oblivion and Morrowind are just simply fantastic and Fallout can't hold a candle to them. I can't stand Boarderlands though, game bores the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Borderlands > Fall out

    for me, at least

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even tho I'm more into open world games combined with some "corridors", I found Fallout 3 to be quite interesting, as I am a fan of this apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic setting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I specifically don't like open world games, like fallout and oblivions etc, but i have to say I can see why people love the endless amount of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually liked Fallout 3. But hey there's nothing wrong with not like it :)

    ReplyDelete